Name Changes

Frequently asked questions

  • How do I change my name?
  • Name changes must be done either in writing using the “Notification of Name Change” form or online and accompanied by two required documents:
  • Current government issued photo I.D. such as a driver’s license, passport, alien registration card.
  • Original copy of certified marriage certificate, divorce decree or court order.
    If you are requesting a replacement license with your new name on it, you will need to complete the request online.
  • How long does it take to process a name change?
  • Once all documentation (and fee if applicable) have been received by the DHBC, the name change can be seen on the web site within 2 weeks. If the license is being replaced, the replacement license will be mailed within 4 weeks.

Law and Ethics Written Examination Applicants

  • PSI will not allow me to sit for the exam, what do I do?
  • If PSI will not allow you to take the written exam because your name is different at DHBC than on your drivers license, you must either change your drivers license to match your legal name, or change your name at DHBC to your legal name using one of the acceptable documents listed above.

For more information, contact (916) 263-1978

Name change form

Address Change